Sunday, August 26, 2012

Collateral (2004)


No movie boasts a cooler vibe than Michael Mann's dazzling Collateral. The movie is badass personified, but at the same time has a great story with well-developed characters, making his crime thriller the total package.
 
Tom Cruise plays Vincent, a cool, calculating hitman at the top of his game. Max (Jamie Foxx), is a cabbie with big aspirations and nothing to show for it. Now Max must drive Vincent on his next job -- five hits and a getaway. Let me start off by first praising the two Oscar-worthy performances of Cruise and Foxx. Cruise really takes his game to the next level as one of the coolest villains in years, which Foxx's powerful performance really puts you in his character's shoes.

Collateral proves to be a pure adrenaline rush from start to finish with breathtaking action, breathtaking cinematography of downtown LA, and a mind-numbing score. Even though the action is top notch, I find the slower paced scenes involving Max and Vincent to be the highlights of the film. The characters and dialogue are so well-written that it makes you really connect to the characters. The only problem I had was that Vincent is too likable as a character, and I found myself rooting for him over protagonist Max.

I lose myself in this movie, and everytime I watch it, my problems go away for 2 hours. This movie brings back so many good memories. This is, hands-down, my favorite movie of all-time. A groundbreaking crime thriller.

Estefan Guerrero

No comments:

Post a Comment